This issue of the Oral Care Reports covers important updates on current guidelines on the use of antibiotics and antibiotic stewardship. Additional topics include tips of diagnosing endodontic pain, and considerations in considering clear removable appliances versus traditional orthodontic treatment. Two additional very important articles update you on the latest evidence supporting obesity as a risk factor for periodontal disease and treatment strategies for the autistic patient.
Upon completion of reading these articles, the clinician will be able to:
- Understand the problems associated with antibiotic over-prescribing and see the necessity for practicing good antibiotic stewardship.
- Learn the latest techniques designed to assist dental professionals in determining the diagnosis of pain of endodontic origin.
- Become familiar with the relative benefits of clear retainer-like appliances vs. brackets and arch wires for certain orthodontic treatments.
- Know the latest evidence supporting obesity as a risk factor for periodontal disease.
- Recognize the challenges associated with treating autistic patients and the suggested means to provide effective care.